Tell me a story about time travel
The generator for this one was ex-wife x time travel x slaying the monster. I considered making the ex-wife the monster but… maybe when I've had more practice.
1. It's her first day of close protection work with the time travelling affable businessman, and we're going back to fix a safety concern before a factory worker dies. Time travel is very expensive because it uses so much power but of course the affable businessman will do it to save a life! He's so affable! And so nice to hire her when she's only had two or three jobs as a bodyguard. Isn't he nice?
2. This goes off without a problem. On returning, the company is doing much better and a competing factory in another country has burned down, killing dozens. She worries that changing the timeline has accidentally caused this but the engineers tell her that's not how it works, sweetie, leave the complicated bits to us.
3. After a dull few days of protection, we're going back to attend a legal meeting we just learned we weren't invited to. It's dull. On returning, the company is doing even better and the ex-wife is in hospital after a car crash.
4. After another few days of protection, the daughter arrives having opened a letter the ex-wife left with her. Accusations! There's no way the company should be doing so well so quickly, he must be rigging something and she'll tell the papers! Affable businessman says he's been suspecting something too, let him speak with the engineers, see what could be going wrong with causality.
5. He doesn't even bother coming up with an cover this time, they're going back to extract this letter. While in the time travel, the bodyguard has the chance to send her media sister AND the man's daughter information about the last few days, gives affable businessman a serious deniable brain injury, returns to play dumb through a company cover-up.
6. Business daughter takes over as regent and hires her? Is that too neat? Probably.
I think I would read this - not at novel length but maybe 10k. I also don't think I'll write it, because I want it to have action and bodyguard vigilance and I'm more of a ‘characters talk while sitting comfortably’ kinda gal.
Let me know if it reminds you of anything I could read.
Thank you for being here. Until next time, enjoy the quiet between ideas!